Sunday, December 16, 2007

Skewing Around








Jim makes it a point to upload photos of his recent works and of nagging me to do the same. Well here they are... from 09:30 to 16:30 I stood in a cold basement here in Western NY with my winter jacket tightly zipped making sacrifices for my art. OK I love turning and can't in my crappy little apartment so I work in my brothers basement in an unheated former coal cellar. I can't put a heater in there because of all of the sawdust, polishes and green wood. A firey potential mess. So with my handy skew and mini-lathe I shivered my way to creative superiority! I love the skew chisel. A much misunderstood tool as far as turning goes.

In case anyone who hasn't done any turning on a lathe wants to know... the greatest invention to come to wood turning is the skew chisel. Sure you got your bowl gouges which are really awesome, the roughing gouge which starts the whole process and then various scrapers that make life pretty darn easy in some cases but the king bufoo of all is the skew chisel.
With what other tool can you make a perfect globe, a half dome with a hollow underside, various beads and coves, All this with the wonderous skew chisel.

11 comments:

Janiece said...

Ooohhh...shiney.

Do you ever sell your work? I'd love to purchase one of those bottles...

Beastly said...

Janiece
yep I do sell them. Not many here in WNY though. drop me an email and I can let you know what's kickin around in inventory.

Janiece said...

Will do. I enjoy having hand-made things from people I "know." Thanks!

Jim Wright said...

Nice, of course.

What finish are you using?

Also: don't sell Janiece a stopper. Barter, that's the ticket here. Hold out for some of her apple butter, it is indeed the shit. Seriously. That's how she ended up with one of my bowls - and it was worth it :)

Beastly said...

Janiece
You heard the man... what would it take to get some of the apple butter in exchange? name your barter units of fair exchange. I usually put a $15 price tag per stopper what's that worth in apple butter???

Beastly said...

Jim;
I'm using HUT Crystal Coat. Wax suspended in Lacquer. it's kinda goopey but it does the trick and it lasts for a good long time.

Janiece said...

Jim, don't be talking shit - I traded you the Apple Butter for some of that Rose-Hips jelly. An even trade. The bowl was a gift, just as the knitted caps and scarves were my gifts to you and your family. Jeez, typical Warrant, stirring the pot...

Shawn, I'd be happy to barter with you for a stopper. I like the darker finish - it will contrast nicely with the bowl Jim gave me as a gift.

How about a jar of the apple butter and a jar of the cranberry-walnut, along with a super-warm knitted cap for when you're working in your brother's basement? If Jim's through being a smart-ass, he can attest to their efficacy.

Beastly said...

Janiece the applebutter should be enough. A bubinga (darker color, no stain just nature) will be wisking it's way to you as soon as you email me your address.

Thanks for the offer of the others, the cap would fill with sawdust and you gave me the link to the Cranberry Walnut jelly and I already bought the supplies. Thanks.

Janiece said...

Apple Butter it is. I'll be putting up a batch this weekend. After it sets for a day or too, I'll send it off. I'll e:mail you my address today.

Jim Wright said...

Shawn, just for the record - Janiece's knitted hats are the best - and with your, uh, uninsulated melon you might want to take her up on it. Just saying.

HUT. Got it. Does it change the wood color? Or it it clear?

Janiece: la la la la, I'm ignoring you (I've got a fuzzy, warm hat pulled over my ears).

Jim Wright said...

Oh and Janiece? If you do send him a hat, make it a big one - his head is enormous, especially the forehead part.